Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Bad Week 10-15, Good Week 25+

It's quite admirable that you're like an audio super hero, and perhaps more of us should do it.

I have nothing against the I-Pod per se, as an accessory I suppose it is handy, but when IT becomes the system, or the boombox it's plugged into becomes the system, then it is very disturbing. But it's only partially responsible. The recent trend of audio components and their escalating prices is obscene and equally to blame. It used to be in the 80's that 2-3 thousand per component was getting you the good stuff. Then it went to 4-6, then recently 8-10 and now I'd swear they're trying to make it sound like 12-14 is where they'd like it. When the words "value" and "bargain" start getting used for something costing 14 grand, the end has to be in sight.

And sadly you don't have to spend anywhere near that to get great sound. Used maggies for example are an audiophiles dream come true, only a couple hundred bucks for heaven.

In any case, I doubt it will tank completely. Like anything, it may have a dark period, but the faithful will carry on, and eventually people will discover what they threw away and they will come back, and at a more reasonable price point as well.

But we would help ourselves immensly if we did what you do, or more to the point, if manufacturers did what you do. AR used to give public demos in the 60's to show people the difference between good and crap gear. I don't know why it's not done anymore.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.