Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: 5 channel amp to upgrade Classe & Maggie question- long

That's a very concise explanation of what you're looking for- the effortless sizzle at the top, the sexy-breathy-superdynamic edge with the harmonics well-represented. But not exaggerated or unnatural. Got it. Me too, although this predisposition may be partly in response to a slight higher freq. hearing loss due to a scuba accident, and too many live concerts during the 70's and 80's. It was probably that last Who or Chemical Brothers concert that did it. And your comment about the setup or room interaction when you auditioned the Krells is something we all rail against- a crappy showroom experience ruining our first impressions. I hear that about Martin Logan's quite often- lousy setups, putrid connected gear, and rooms.

Basically, I find that once that a total sound system package I've put together sounds "right" enough across the frequency spectrum, with well- balanced energies in all ranges, and after I look at the room with an eye towards the sonics it produces, I then tend to fine-tune with cabling and tubes. That's mostly how I look at cabling, as tiny little tone controls. Add a little silver- a Kimber KCAG in the chain is a favorite weapon when judiciously applied- something fast and clean, I usually bring out the Coincident TRS to allow the clean, unaltered harmonics to pass through, then maybe add (or remove) a Richard Gray 400, a different power cable...you get the picture. Now I've just gotten a set of Polk Cobra speaker cables, and supposedly nothing is faster, so I can;t wait to see how they impact most of my systems. I mix and match constantly from my fairly large collection of stuff. I also tend to use hybrid preamps, an Audible Illusions Mod 3a, ARC LS-2- in which a I also tube roll trying to bring out a more open top end. I'm even searching for a "right-priced" Townshend super tweeter to add to my Quad ESL57's, with response above 100k. Unheard but definitely perceived in other qualities I have heard. BTW, talk about narrow sweet spots! It's like 2 head widths. I tend to prefer electrostatics now, because of my perception of their greater space and freedom at the top end. Although I hear the Quad 11L and 12L actually have very open upper registers, altogether Quad-like. I'll have to audition them alongside the Adam Audio speakers you mention. I use the wonderful Near 05 internally bi-amped active monitors for many uses. Connected to a balanced output Forte F44 preamp- fed from a cable box, iPod or computer- what a minisystem! And listening to the Innersound's is also high on my list, especially after reading some of the comments around here. I'm a nut, I admit it. I have a different flavor of system in every room of my house. I have 3 more systems to add to my Inmate system menu.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm trying to explain is that I prefer that the equipment has as little coloration in and of itself- as possible- good bones- and hence no bad behaviors, colorations or skewed sonic balance, and barely tweak the final sound with wiring and tubes and room setup. It's gotta be in the sauce already, ya know? That's why I love the Thresholds- they are so sweet and airy without any looseness at all. Kinda like Emmy Rossum or Kate Beckinsale- with and without makeup. And of course, I never use a bass-heavy piece of gear when the bass energies are already over-represented enough in the mix, etc., and vice-versa in not overloading one end of the spectrum. As long as the complete sound is present in the equipment, in a balanced fashion, without any excess coloration or biased sound, then it's up to me to finesse the last bit of sweetness with the tweaks as outlined above.

I hope this made sense. It's 5AM and I just finished a 4 hour marathon listening session on the Quad 57's. Miles' "Kind of Blue", Bill Evans live "Waltz for Debby" and Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" - vinyl versus SACD. Yikes. When you can hear a stool creak in the studio, on KOB, or can tell the difference between a spoon and a fork when someone drops one on their table- in WFD, or hear the different microphone/vocal sounds, as on LOG, then everything is firing on all cylinders!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 5 channel amp to upgrade Classe & Maggie question- long - TubeHeadSeth 02:29:25 10/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.