Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

With Maggies, it's not all just about power

I've had three pairs of Maggies and I've had amps of various topologies and power levels on each of them. I've found that it's more the amp's design than raw power that allow Maggies to sound good. Sure, 500 watts from a good amp will do good things on Maggies. However, there are those on here that won't like the 500 watt Bryston, saying it's not a full bodied sound. That may be because of other factors not related to the amp. One of the most impressive presentations I ever got from the IIIA's in my living room was from a very good tube preamp feeding a 30 watt class D tube. This combo produced a very 3D, coherent soundstage with rich midrange, and very voluminous, dynamically realistic images. The one thing lacking somewhat is a limitation how big and loud the sonic image can be presented and still hold together all its constituent parts. That's where a 200 watt tube amp would yield the bigger, stronger picture. A 200 watt solid state Adcom could not accomplish a third of what the 30 watt tube did. A 200 watt Bedini class A amp produced a strong, stable sound with many good qualities. As a matter of fact the Maggies, when set up correctly, will allow almost infinite valid sonic presentations which consequently means that Maggies will show the sonic picture of almost every amp out there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.