Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I just made the 1.6 QR to 3.6 R switch a month ago

Mike,

I have just made that same switch from the 1.6 QR to the 3.6 R that you are now contemplating. I WAS running a pair of 200 WPC ASL Hurricane monoblocks which swing a lot of current and drove the 1.6's fairly well in my 12 X 27 foot listening room. I was fortunate enough to pick up a fine pair of 3.6's from Dr. Jazz when he moved up to the 20.1's. I hitched them up and noticed some strain with the Hurricane's even at moderate volume on musical peaks. I have since switched over to a Bryston 4B-SST which pump out 500 WPC into the 3.6's 4 ohm load. What a difference ? On peaks there is no strain and the 3.6 is now more "dynamic" AND - I mainly listen to acoustic jazz at moderate sound levels - not full blown classical or pop music. It also seems like I gained another half octave of bass at the bottom end.

I know on paper the 3.6 is supposed to be only 1 dB less sensitive than the 1.6 but IMHO it needs maybe double the wattage to really get those panels moving. IMHO the 1.6 needs 200 WPC minimum and the 3.6 400-500 WPC minimum to handle musical peaks. I know there are some out there that will read this and say "My 1.6 (or 3.6) sounds just great with my 75 - 100 WPC Jolida, Rogue, Conrad Johnson, ARC etc. amplifier" - BUT - to those that do >> You should maybe TRY and borrow a higher powered amp from a friend and insert it into your system. I think you will be surprised at the difference some extra power headroom will have with your Maggies.

Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.