Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

My opinion....

.. is yes especially if you want to play it loud. My 1.6 had been driven by Stratos monos (180wpc at 8 and about 340 wpc at 4), Stratos Extreme (180 wpc), ICE H2O (250 wpc at 8, 500 wpc at 4), biamped Threshold S-500 Series II(250 wpc at 8 and 500 wpc at 4), and CJ Premier 11 (70 wpc) on top and MV60 on the bottom or vice versa. I also had an experienced from borrowing Music Reference amp (RM100 if I recall correctly), Cary V12, and other tube amps below 150 wpc which I cannot remember their names anymore. Ahh yes, Sonic Frontier I think is another one. In the context of my system, I found that with more headroom (more power), the presentation was effortless and bass had a better control. With amps generating power below 150 wpc SS or Tube it was also fine but it cannot do some kind of music genre as good as when it was driven by higher power amps. Trance, heavy metal, and techno at loud levels easily shows its inadequacy.

I am only talking about the 1.6 here. For the 3.6, I think it is safe to assume that you double the power requirement especially if you like to crank it up once in a while not to mention if you are going to do double duty for HT.

Also, I think I read somewhere that you have to consider the 3.6 specs at 85dB/500Hz /2.83v is a little bit misleading. Most speakers are measured at 1kHz/2.83V at the same distance. So in essence, the 85 dB sensitivity is really 82 dB. I might be wrong here, but others can correct me.

goodluck

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • My opinion.... - amandarae 12:20:18 10/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.