Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Down to 2805 or USA Pro Monitors

If money is not an issue then I would opt for the 2805. Contrary to many claims otherwise, all these speakers, i.e. late production ESL63, 988, 2805 are essentially the same speaker. Why some folks claim they like the 63 better than the 988, etc., is anyone's guess. Set-up, room, gear, etc? The 988 has marginally improved electronics versus the 63. The 2805 improves the frame.

I own the ESL63 Monitor(s/n 34XXX), 988 and have listened extensively to the 2805. The 2805 is a better speaker than the other two. Does it radically improve on the previous speakers? No, but it is the best of the bunch. The later speakers simply refine an already outstanding speaker design.

Long-term reliability would be the big advantage to the 2805. If QS&D has replaced all the panels in the ESL63 it should also provide many years of trouble-free service. My experience with QS&D rebuilds is they only replace the defective panels and leave functioning panels in place. A legitimate option given the price of new panels, $400+. This keeps the repair, rebuild cost down. The panels left in place generally fail within a few years of the repair/rebuild. I would confirm with QS&D that all the panels have been replaced and new power supply boards have been installed in the 63 your are contemplating.

Additionally, with the QS&D rebuild, I would want a warranty to match the 1-year warranty of a new speaker. Replacement panels only have a 90-day warranty from the factory.

Your room and set-up sound ideal for the ESL63 or 2805. Nearfield is the best way to experience any Quad IMO. Some experimenting will be required, and you might try them on the short wall, but you definately have the right idea for setting up the Quads.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Down to 2805 or USA Pro Monitors - kentaja@yahoo.com 05:50:59 10/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.