Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Agree

The stats/ maggies do well with quality power. On the used market you can get a California Audio Labs 2500 MCA for $2000 or 2500 at most. This amp is not well known since Cal Audio was bought by sensory science (forget exact name) and they no longer produce it (but it can still be serviced). This amp retailed in 2001 for $7500 and is a giant killer.

I have directly compared it with Musical Fidelity TriVista Integrated (2ch), McIntosh 402 monos, Theta II, Anthem & Adcom with my previous Maggie 3.6s and 1.6s. I am still using the CAL now with 20.1s up front.

The CAL is A/B 500w x 5 analog monster with 3 large power supplies. in 4&5 channel operation it doubles to 750-800w, but in 2ch or 3ch mode it doubles to 1000w. Widescreen review uses 5 modified monoblock versions as thier reference system.

In comparison to other Mch amps there are none that I have preferred. The MF TriVista had a little more air and soundstage depth only and I liked the 2ch CAL better than or equal to Mac in all respects except soundstage depth. You can control amp to turn off unused circuits completely.

I have heard Classe (200 & 300) at dealer with 3.6s in monoblocks and always liked them.

I have more info on CAL if interested.

AL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Agree - Dr.Jazz 15:29:34 10/26/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.