Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Andy's right (2nd)

The two biggest improvements I ever had with my Maggie 1.6's was going active (bi-amping with an active line-level X/O between the pre-amp and the 2 stereo amps) and going to Mye stands.

The bi-amping cleaned everything up. Softer softs & louder louds. Everything has that "real" feel that I wish would be there all the time (recording dependent, however). I have a nice EL34 tube amp on my tweeter panels, and a big-boy KT-88 tube amp on the bass panels. Gain-matched, but very different amps. Works for me, but YMMV.

The Mye stands improved the foundation. While I have subs, I generally only use them for rock music. With the Mye stands, I almost never use the subwoofers for orchestral music, which I used to do a lot before getting the stands. Frankly, 90% of the time I don't use the subs, but when I really want to stomp, the subs DO add the slam that planars can't give.

I've never had better sound from any system that I've owned (and I've had some famous ones).

Hope this helps! Frankly, it's an amazing improvement, and a whole lot cheaper than going for the huge dollar big-watt tube amps.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Andy's right (2nd) - CometCKO 17:50:17 10/25/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.