Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Crossover Frequency vs. Slope Question for Ribbons

Looking briefly at the schematic, I see that that bass and mid bass are 2nd order filters(12db slope) low pass filters. There is no mid-bass high pass filter, which means the mid-bass is not limited at its lower end and overlaps the bass. Usually the mid-bass would have a band pass filter (i.e a high-pass and low-pass defining the lower and upper limits). It may be that the mid-bass is inverted in order to produce a flat acoustic response in the area of overlap. Further analysis is not possible since the inductor values are not specified.

You are correct that by using a 2nd order high pass filter, you could lower frequency. Interestingly Magnepan typically uses a 2nd order high pass filter on the tweeter but they employ a low Q (often <0.3) so the slope is closer to a 1st order curve. I assume they have a reason for this. Also whether you could lower the ribbon frequency may not depend on the ribbon responding at lower frequencies but more on its ability to move enough air to keep the response flat.

I may be an egoist but at least I don't talk about other people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.