Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

You want low inductance.

Low inductance is what you are trying to achieve for best sound. However, you don't want to do it at the expense of excessive capacitance. I have tried CAT5 cables (but not on my Maggies), and they sound nice, but definitely not neutral. They were smooth, but a bit dark in the microdynamics (although I didn't have the teflon variety -- I think that could have been important).

I think that high capacitance speaker cable is like playing with fire. It can sound great until you go too far, and start changing the sound due to the interaction of the high capacitance with the amplifier. Or worse yet, make the output unstable.

Well designed cables have geometries that minimize inductance without raising capacitance too high. These include quad-star geometries and such. You can do okay with twisted pair designs, but my feeling is that the thin wire in CAT5 requires too may pairs to get a low resistance, and this in turn results in too high a capacitance to be sure of a neutral sound.
I wouldn't use the 27-pair or 18-pair CAT5 recipies. I think the capacitance is too much, unless you have short runs (like 8 feet or less).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You want low inductance. - audioNeil 16:28:51 10/22/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.