Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Questions!? (just a few more)

I typed out this lengthy reply and I lost it trying to copy a message from STEVENK to reply to both of you at the same time.

To see my profile (not sure how up-to-date it is now) look under 'kiefer74'
OK short(er) version...

"When you say you'd like to listen "louder", IMO you are seeking one of two things ... or possibly both :-)) :
1. You want the dB level entering your ears to be higher, or
2. You want to experience a more "dynamic" (read "snappier") presentation."

Both, though I'm not sure if it's just power based or I'm asking these speakers to do something they cannot do. I want a higher db level no doubt, but when I get it close to the level I'd like, the soundstage decreases and the music sounds muddy or blurry.
ex. Beethovens 5th, end of 3rd movement going into the finale...if you know the piece then you may get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Plus I listen to a lot of metal music more often at home now...C.O.C., Tool, Ministry (one of my fave's), Slayer etc...also funk...old stuff like curtis mafield and newer stuff like older chili peppers(which in most cases the recording is bad not my equipment).

"I would try biamping first and if you feel you have adequate dynamics but still lack some bass control, try the autoformers then."

Sounds like both of you are for bi-amping. One problem is they've made a lot of changes at Rogue Audio over the years. I have their 1st Magnum model (both 99 preamp and m-120 amps). Given the $2g price for an upgrade of 30 watts may show the point. Plus they use all new cuircut boards, transformers, tubes etc...I'm a bit hesitant to get a NEW 90 that will sound sonically different than my m-120's (Magnum).

Maybe I should get the m-120's upgraded and then get a 90 (w/ the same circrity(excuse my spelling) so everything will match up right? I've thought about getting the Zeus amp. though I think most would say it's overkill for the 1.6's. So how would bi-amping be any different?

I can reach the level of 'power' I want off 2 other sets of speakers I have...both conventional style and not quite the sound I'm looking for.

Are the 1.6's capable of true punch in the chest power, yet able to keep the planar sound?

Iguess that enough questions for now.
Anyone reading these posts feel free to add your .02

Jon

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.