Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Thoughts/questions...

I would place the top MMG on the stack upside down, that would reduce the gap between the two drivers (as baffle is wider on the bottom than the top) Just make sure the the tweeters are on the same side of the panel and are in line with each other.

I would also think about biamping with that setup to take some of the stress of the amps. Although many amps are stable into 2 ohms, they generally have the lowest distortion at their rated power (as that was what their parts and design were optimized for). For example, UcD amps and some pro amps perform best into 4 ohms, most home amps perform best into 8 ohms, and some tube amps work best into 16.

So, the woofer panels (which measure over 5 ohms each) could be wired parallel and use a pro amp, as it needs the most power. The tweeters (which measure less than four ohms each) could be wired in series and use a lower watt tube amp with some adjustments to the gain.

I just got done doing a crossover upgrade to my MMG's and was thinking about stacking, but I don't have enough space in my current apartment.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.