Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Aha ... thanks for the wake-up call, PG!! :-))

Hi Bill,

Yes, I think this can be fixed ... not only that but the result will be better than stock!! :-))

I've only seen one pair of SMGs (and maybe they were different to SMGAs?) so I'm guessing as to how they are constructed. However, I'll work from how my IIIAs are constructed and maybe we'll be able to sort it out? :-))

PM me directly if you have any more Qs on this.

You said: "the .125" x .750" bars on the front of the panels had vibrated loose."

So you have the perforated metal sheet at the front of your SMGAs and I assume you have 2 or 3 "stiffening" bars on this? (My IIIAs have 5.)

I tried glueing the bars to the metal plate with Araldite but I noticed a while ago that some of the glue bonds had broken over the years. However, the glue-bond wasn't needed with the fix that I subsequently came up with.

Sooo ... what I suggest you do is use bolts to secure the stiffening bars to the metal sheet ... and to the MDF frame!!

In other words, drill a hole right through the centre of each stiffening bar, 1/2" in from the edge, through the driver-assembly wooden backing frame and through the MDF frame. Use an M3 or M4 bolt (or your Imperial equivalent).

I suggest you remove the bass/tweeter driver-assembly completely from the MDF frame (take out all those damn brads/staples!!), just so you can see how it is constructed and how it fits into the MDF frame.

Depending on how your SMGAs are arranged, you may have to add some more bolts going right through the surrounding frame of the driver assembly and the MDF frame. Aim at having bolts every 12" or so.

What this does is twofold:
a) the "stiffening" bars are fixed securely to the metal magnet-plate; and
b) the mylar driver-assembly is fixed rigidly to the MDF frame (which is held rigidly by your PG stands?).

This stops the bars from vibrating but also - and more significantly - because the driver-assembly is held rigidly to the MDF frame, the speaker sounds much more dynamic ... just like it does when you add Mye/PG stands! :-))

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Aha ... thanks for the wake-up call, PG!! :-)) - andyr 05:00:57 10/19/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.