Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

To be clear,

my comments are based on my experience with the Gilmore Raptor switching amps, which have no feedback yet have an output impedance below 5 milliohms.

YMMV, especially with amps that employ massive amounts of global negative feedback. The uniformity of output impedance over frequency depends on the details of the feedback network, and some amps may deliver good measurements yet fail to deliver convincing sound.

Magnepans have driver interactions that are audible and identifiable when reduced. I was able to clean up the sound-stage clarity for mid-bass instruments by adding R-C filters to the outputs of the bass low-pass crossover sections. The stock design has an inductor as the last reactive element, so the bass panel sees a high impedance for resonances above the pass band. The R-C filter helps by damping these resonances.

Adding the Gilmore amps gave further improvements along this line, and at higher frequencies as well. This is why I believe that Magnepans need high damping factor amps, and that it is important to use amps that do not suffer from the means used to get the high damping factors.

Speakers can be "musical" while suffering from response anomalies that obscure certain kinds of detail. Most systems do not deliver all the sound-stage information present on good recordings, so a little loss of precision in less-obvious tonal bands is difficult to pick out with casual listening.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.