Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Acoustat 6 set-up tips

Hello, All:

I just bought a pair of 6's last week and have been playing with them over the weekend. I am using a Cary preamp with a TNT 200 amp. My room is roughly 14' x 18' x 8' high with little absorption. The speakers are currently about 4' from the back wall and 2 1/2' from the side walls. I am listening about 12' back from the speakers and they are toed-in so that the center panels are aiming at their respective ears.

I am not getting very good imaging, unless I move my listening chair well into the near field, maybe 6' to 7' from the panels. The bass seems thin, and I definitely get the head in a vise effect. All panels seem to be functioning. The interfaces are pre-Medallion.

Any tips or advice? I knew going in that these were a lot of work to set-up optimally, but I am a little disappointed. Is my room too small? Do I need to absorb and/or diffuse the back wave? Are side wall reflections killing my imaging or are the wide panels to blame? Where is the bass?

Thanks in advance for any help,
David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Acoustat 6 set-up tips - David Yost 05:52:40 10/09/06 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.