Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Maybe,. but what puzzles me is .....

... if that was the problem, why don't ALL CDs & SACDS sound bright. They do not, only some (but that some is still too many).

The ones that are ok can sound chillingly real, and don't interpret that as meaning cool! They sound extremely natural and musical.

I seem to have gone through a cycle. Decades ago I really hated digital as it was harsh and generally unlistenable. A venture into laserdiscs got me on the "improve digital" waggon but it was not until I started to have gear modified with better clocks etc to minimise jitter that the sound quality looked up. CDs then started to sound as good as vinyl so I sold nearly all the vinyl as I was never playing it.

At that stage I agree with Brian, CDs were not nearly as bad as previously thought. But the locally made electrostats started to become unreliable around 12 months ago so I joined the Sound Labs band waggon with a pair of Majestics.

Next step was replacement of the Plinius M16L preamp with a MacIntosh C200 - opened up the spectrum even more, particularly the bottom end. So far so good.

Then came the Halcros. When inserted where I had the Plinius with long speaker leads, they sounded dead. So, the guy who brought the Halcros inserted 30 ft of Furutech interconnect and very short Furutech speaker leads with the Halcros immediately behind the Majestics. Hey presto, it was more a blanket than a veil that was lifted. The sound opened up dramatically.

BUT, the grunge, if on a CD or SACD was also coming through. If not, the musical result was awesome, but close micing in particular did not sound nice. So, my take is GIGO. If the Halcros are emphasising HF transients as you suggest, doesn't this occur on ALL recordings? It doesn't so my logic tells me the problem lies in recordings, not the componentry.

And yes, matching Sound Labs centre speakers (powered by the Plinius SA250) give an excellent sound stage.

John

Do not criticise the idiots in this world - we need them as they make the rest of us look so much better :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.