Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Planar or Electrostatic, what are the +- of each?

Having owned three different types of electrostats (Audiostatic, Stax, Acoustat) and two different types of Planar magnetic/ribbon designs (Infinity IRS Beta, Apogee) I would have to say that the bigger versions of all of these speakers will rock very hard with the kind of "slam" you can get from big box speakers. The smaller ones will rock but won't have quite the same slam. The Infinity Betas could rock the hardest (because of the huge woofer towers primarily) but were utterly ruthless to bad recordings (they were also somewhat colored sounding).

Recommended planar (or hybrid) speakers that can rock down the house and play beautiful chamber music equally well (the power AND the glory):

Apogee Full-Range, Scintilla, Diva, Studio Grand, or Duetta Signature
Soundlab A1, U1
Acoustat 2+2, Spectra 4400 or Spectra 6600
Analysis Audio Omega and Amphytron
Infinity IRS Beta, Gamma and Epsilon, RS 1B, and RS 2B (not as great for classical music)
ML Prodigy (still somewhat limited but quite good anyway), Summitt
Relco DaVinci (line source with dipole woofer array)
Dali Megaline (expensive even used)
Maggie MG 20.1r

I didn't include smaller estats or ribbon models because to play big they really need extra help from subwoofers and these will limit integration and therefore compromise sound quality, IMO. Of those on this list the cheapest used are the Acoustats and perhaps the Apogees. The Apogee Diva is probably the best bang for the buck on the whole list followed closely by the Acoustat Spectra 4400 and 6600 , which are very difficult to find. The reason is the Diva will hang with just about everything on this list in almost all parameters...its that good. That said I acutally prefer the sound overall of my Acoustat Spectra 2200, which in smaller rooms will also rock very hard and are superbly tranparent. The Infinities will rock the hardest but are also, IMO the most colored but still not too badly compared to most box speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Planar or Electrostatic, what are the +- of each? - morricab 09:02:37 09/10/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.