Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: First stage phono preamp transformer output coupled

If you use a plate resistor of 10K, the plate impedance is about the inverse of 1/10K+1/4K or 2.86K. Formally speaking the plate resistor and the tube are in parallel, so the parallel combination of their impedances are the gain stage impedance. If you use a transformer to load the 7788, then the stage impedance is that of the 7788 transformed by the turns ratio of the transformer squared. So if you assume the 7788 has a plate impedance of 4K and you use an LL1692A/30mA with a turns ratio of 3.5:1, then the output impedance of you stage is 326 ohms. The use of a 600ohm load resistor is unnecessary with this set-up, but we should try to get closer to 600ohms with the 7788 and the transformer. Using the LL1660/30mA at 4.5:2 gives about 790ohms, which is closer. To get closer yet will require adjusting the operating conditions of the 7788.

If I haven't lost you in all of this, you can see the process. If you are lost, well let's chat more.

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.