Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: CCS with Cathode Resistor in a long tail ?

Or let me describe my thoughts and see if I understand it:

- I want the 6N6p to run at a Bias of 150V on the anode with 20 mA which requires -4,5V. currently my Load resistor is 10k, so with HV+ of350, it will drop the voltage from 350V to 150V and will produce heat of 0,02*200=4W each.

If I want now the same bias, the CCS needs to be set at 20mA. It would replace the Plate resistor with + goes HV and - goes Anode. Bias needs to be set by a resistor, normally to produce -4,5V this would mean R=4,5/0,02=225Ohm...as this resistor has two triodes to serve /diff pair), double current, so actually it should be 112 Ohm.

In the impasse-preamp the guy used LED to produce the negative voltage instead of a resistor...

Ok, back to the CCS. As we force with the negative grid voltage the operating voltage and with the ccs the current, the same 200V would drop over the CCS, correct ? So it would need to stand 4W.

If I now want to relief the CCS ( I am using the compact CCS with up to 2W), I could put a 5K resistor between the CCS and the Anode, so that 2W of the 4W in total will drop over that resistor and the other two over the CCS....correct ???

Any disadvantages ? Any wrong understanding ?

I found this setup as well here: http://www.audioxpress.com/article/The-ImPasse-Preamplifier ...R4 is the trick

Having this 5kresistor in place there will allow me to set the current as well...(still not sure how your 100k setup would work).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.