Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

Question re 6BX7GT in 300B push pull designs

Greetings Kevin et al. I'm presently researching circuits that operate 300B's in Class A push-pull for a potential forthcoming build, and Kevin's designs from back in the day interest me greatly - the ones with a 6BX7 driver and 6SN7 in the first stage.

So my first question is this: The only concern that I have about the 6BX7 is that it's not a valve being manufactured currently, and ideally I'd like to use 'current manufacture' valves so that I don't have to run the gauntlet of potentially unscrupulous eBay sellers.

Last night I was poring over some data sheets and I noticed that the KT66, when triode connected, has near identical figures to the 6BX7 for plate resistance, amplification factor and transconductance at 250V plate voltage. Just requires a little more current (60mA vs 42mA). It's also about as linear a device as you could want.

I've found almost no references to the use of KT66's as 300B drivers so am I missing something obvious?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Question re 6BX7GT in 300B push pull designs - David Loader 15:07:28 07/21/16 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.