Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: A question about the UST output stage board

Hi,

> I'd like to know what different sound signatures can I expect
> from switiching between all the tubes which are fittable
> ECC88/6922/6DJ8/6H1/6CG7.

The tubes listed mean if you plug them in the module will take no damage and it will work (as opposed to 6N30 and 6N6, which will not).

ECC88/6922/6DJ8 are basically different names for the same kind of tube (there are more). Different brands, grades etc. vary in sound.

For the TDA1541 stage I would stick to that kind. My personal preference would be Tesla Goldpin E88CC from the 50's and 60's, Mullard/Philips E88CC and so on. Some prefer the Valvo/TFK E88CC or CCa/E188CC, I find them too clinical. The US versions are a mixed bag.

6H1/6CG7

These have different parameters and sound differnet. I find them better for some line stage application, but some people say they sound "too warm and slow". They are basically secondary alternates. I would restrict them to the low gain (6/12dB) line level applications.

I would not recommend their use if you use the Board in a Phono-Stage, with passive I/V for current output DAC's (they may work very well for voltage output DAC's though) or for microphone Preamplifiers.

> I've also read that one of these boards make for a good preamp
> with selectable output ranging from 6db onwards. Can I up the 2v.
> output of the board on my CD output section.

When used with passive I/V for a TDA1541 you are already using the maximum gain. The I/V resistance is set to 50 Ohm, you could change the jumper marked for 1mA/2mA to the 1mA position, this will change the I/V resistor to 100 Ohm, however in my experience that is already too much for the TDA1541 and it will not sound all that good.

> I suspect it would do some good to my Silk TVC diyed Django preamp.

I am less sure.

Do you routinely find yourself running the volume up all the way to max?

I would expect for a system in which the gain structure is right to have the point on the volume control between around 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock for normal listening. Any lower and you have too much gain and you are not using the TVC in the range where it sounds best.

Ciao T

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Edits: 02/10/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.