Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: computers for cleo and other questions

Hi,

> I am planning to buy a computer that will exclusively be for music,

Good choice. I find once a machine is dedicated and set up correctly they just work.

I use Macs both at home and in my office, but I think I read that Cleo only works with PCs?

Yup.

> If so, what PCs would you recommend? What types of hard drives, etc.

This depends a little on what you want.

You can use an All-In-One PC which is basically a PC build into a Monitor and can operate stand alone. There are a number of choices. Such a system basically operates similar to a Soolos system.

At the office we are running an MSI Wind Neton, this a 19" Touchscreen Unit which retails at around 700USD:

MSI All In One PC's

An alternative are very small form factor PC's, these are best if you already have a screen (TV etc) at hand. We recently started using Asus EeeBox's:

Asus EeeBox

At the far end sit custom designed units that need to be build from scratch, like my own unit:

My OLD Mini ITX Fanless Music Server

All of the above solutions are best used with an Microsoft MCE Remote for remote control, IMNSHO, but you can use any Windows Smartphone, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and so on as well.

For Hard-drives it is a good idea to use external ones and to have a "spare" for backups. USB works fine, e-sata is better though.

> Also, will Cleo automatically correctly sample whatever resolution
> file I am playing?

With correct setup? Absolutely.

> I read the Stereophile review of the Ayre and the reviewer said
> he had to manually change settings ever time he played a file with
> a different resolution.

Well, that's Mac's for you (unless you pay for Amarra)...

> Finally, I would think I'd want internet access to download hi-rez
> files, and digitally purchased music, but I think I saw a post by
> Thorsten saying WIFI was way bad for streaming music.

Yes. Many WiFi drivers are very badly written and put huge overheads onto the system.

> What is the work-around?

You can hardwire the computer to the net. You can use Devolo Powerline network devices, which is what I use.

Devolo DLan power line networking

My Media PC also acts as server for other PC's and "WiFi Boom Boxes" around the house. I'm running FUPPES as server (difficult to set up, but very "lite" on resources), this way even the Linksys WiFi Internet Radio in the Bedroom can connect to the music and I can also play it in my office.

I tend to use my laptop to download music and just copy it onto the Media PC's harddrive over the network.

I hope this helps.

Ciao T
Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: computers for cleo and other questions - Thorsten 10:24:47 07/13/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.