Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Fi For Flora

Homes in Hong Kong tend to be small. Our living room is 12' x 28' with seating along one long wall and flat screen TV on the opposite side. When we got the flat screen TV it opened up the room considerably but left no place for the tube amps/linestage without negating the benefits of the flat screen.

So I packed up the equipment and we've since been without music; not a big problem for me as I get music at work, however my wife Flora misses the music so I've been planning and now we're ready.
Criteria:

* must be one button power up for the system
* computer music playback
* all-in-one-box amplifier/linestage controller/USB DAC 24bit/192khz capable
* must have tubes
* must integrate with the existing flatscreen

Computer music playback:
For the Cleo/Morello projects we choose a MSI Wind Touchscreen all-in-one and it has served nicely. However in this case we don't want another LCD and prefer to select everything from the Samsung 1080p flatscreen. So we've chosen the Asus EeeBox EB1501. It can be connected to the Samsung flatscreen with HDMI, has a DVD R/W, low noise dual Atom CPU and the fan is steppable, measured at 21dbu. It also comes with Windows 7 Home Premium which means we can use the Windows Media Centre for bit perfect playback.
And it's very small (193 x 193 x 39mm), not much bigger than a router and stands on end.

So all the music can be ripped to the hard drive and the visual interface the familiar Windows interface. It also offers the possibility of an upgraded linear power supply done the road.

All-In-One integrated amplifier with USB DAC
The amplification will be provided by the most tube-sounding solid state devices known to man: the Fusion Power Multipliers. They will be driven with the UTS tube stage and controlled by the UVC selector/volume control system. One input will be USB to receive the bit perfect data stream from the Asus and 3 others will be for RCA inputs, all selectable by remote control.
The USB DAC section will be the same as the Cleo with Ultimate Clock and Ultra low noise power supply.
Power out will be a juicy 40w minimum and will drive the resident Neofone/ribbons quite nicely. The Fusion All-In-One will fit into our Projekt chassis and will store quite nicely without a lot of heat build up.

The Fusion All-In-One build will be documented in a separate blog as will the Asus EB1501 setup and configuration

Stay tuned.
DIY - Done Right!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Fi For Flora - bcherry 20:50:05 06/08/10 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.