Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Music Server Computer transport - Additional

I have a CD94 here and had the Tentlabs CD player for a year - both CDPro based. But the one we use day-to-day is a prototype that never got into production. It uses a Sony transport and compares favorably with the CDPro machines.

The clock wires actually connect to the reclocker module; I just unplugged it for the picture. ... piggy back installation would be theoretically better but I didn't try it. Basically we just wanted to use what we had at hand as we sell the EZ Clock and Power supply shown as well as the regulated power supply (actually a DHT filament supply so very ideal for this). The items are listed under 'active modules' menu.

Transformer removal: I'll let the expert who did this explain his reasons.

"The Transformers used are not that great and do not handle higher levels well.

I have found that receivers of the cirrus logic ilk benefit from more signal than the normal 0.5V P-P.

So what we have done is place a low value resistor in the ground leg (10R - IIRC) to provide some ground loop isolation and a second series resistor with the output of the driving gate, to bring the impedance close to 75R, ...

This way we get around 1.5V P-P into 75R.

We will eventually fit different transformers that handle more level and have a better waveshape, for now removing them was a better option. ..."

...the 3.3v and 1.2v regulators are in the queue to receive some attention, among other things.

I'm not sure what contributed the most to the improvement as I only took a serious listen after all the mods listed were done. But it was well worth it and there seems to be more potential for improvement. A computer transport that beats a standalone cd transport seems to be within reach.
DIY - Done Right!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.