Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: DC-coupled Foreplay

You can use your preamp that way (DC to Ella 2nd stage), but the way I look at it, the stock 3 stage Ella is prefferable to using an external preamp (with 70VDC ICs). The attenuator and srpp stage does everything the foreplay does and its built right in. If you need more sources you could add those to the ella without too much trouble.

Other things that may be interesting. I changed the 6922 stage to a 6cg7 (mini 9pin 6sn7 approximately), which I like better than either the 6922 or the 12au7. You can also hook this first stage up in several ways. Don't have to be limited to srpp, though its not bad.

then you can improve the splitter/driver stage by forcing better balance with a constant current source. An easy way is using depletion mode mosfets in cascode. I like triodes for outputs, but you may have luck with the UL mode and no global feedback. I think I mentioned this before, but careful when you disconnect the feedback. If you disconnect it from OPT 2ndary side you will also disconnect a RC zobel network (.22uf +24R) that may be beneficial to sound when running in UL mode. Just my guess, but maybe someone can confirm..

a pretty good designed PP amp, fwiw. Let us know if you come up with any big improvements. I guess nobody wants to try the interstage coupled version I drew up a while back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.