Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Ella Mod Success and Qs

I have had some great success with mods to the Ella that I think are relatively rare! Based on a hunch, I suppose, I tried bypassing the SRPP preamp stage with my Foreplay preamp. Amazingly, it worked! However, not at first. The fact that the driver tubes on both channels dont have the same pin numbers in the circuit fooled me for a while. However, with that fixed, the sound is amazing! The Ella seems to like using the Foreplay as its preamp circuit. I can't really compare before and after, however, since I changed speakers in the meantime.
Now for my question. Since I have taken out the 6922 stage in the circuit, does that free up more power in the transformer so I can bias my KT88s deeper into class A? Speaking of which, I have never really heard a ballpark max figure for biasing for the Ella. I suppose there is a large grey area. How would I calculate that considering the x-former rating of .6A at 315V?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Ella Mod Success and Qs - Saul P 23:14:06 02/13/05 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.