Audio Asylum Thread Printer
Get a view of an entire thread on one page
|For Sale Ads|
In Reply to: RE: It is a recurring illness. posted by DAK on May 01, 2017 at 12:24:46
Come into the light DAK, COME INNNNNTO THE LIGHT~!!!
Three seconds after the voice in my head says "well this solid state amp is JUST as good as my tube gear". BANG - maybe Jim McShane got some new MAGICAL tubes in stock!
That you have to open up equipment and be comfortable with exposed 500 volts.
Didn't use to be like this when you could just call your neighborhood RCA repairman to make a home visit.
to touch exposed hi voltage areas with your bare hands. Actually, i have been buzzed a few times but the worse was with a Fisher amp with a voltage doubler and the brainiac who "rebuilt" it did not insulate the "hot" cap. This happened in my early tube days. During the first power up i touched the cap to see if it was hot and needed to be replaced and boy did i get a nasty shock. but, i am still here so i would not worry too much about getting shocked as the currents associated with the hi volts are not very much and as long as you have rubber soled shoes and and are nowhere else grounded, the risk of injury is not likely.
It was early in my audio days and I was fooling around with a Dynaco ST-70. Using a DMM I rested my finger on something. It was a shock that made me realize this stuff really CAN kill you.
If I did that today it would have killed me.
We used to have cattle and used electric fencing. Sometimes you would touch it when closing a gate or incidentally while working around it. But that shock will make you scream and lose control of your muscles. Fortunately, the current carried by the fencing wire is only a few milliamps so no real damage. But it really hurts.
Post a Message!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors: