Audio Asylum Thread Printer
Get a view of an entire thread on one page
|For Sale Ads|
In Reply to: RE: Very Disappointed posted by bcowen on December 26, 2016 at 05:41:33
As a simple fix, you might try inserting a plastic or wooden rod that fits perfectly into the hollow tube, going all the way into the body of the BFA connector in order for the structure to remain rigid.
This worked like a dream. Took a little work, but the end result is perfect. As I correctly guessed at the outset, Lowe's didn't have a dowel that was the perfect size. Of the two that were closest, one was a little too small and the other a little too large. I tried wrapping the smaller one with teflon tape as you suggested, but the thin, razor sharp edge of the serrated opening on the plug just sliced it to pieces no matter how I tried to push or twist it into place. So I put the larger dowel in the drill press and shaved it down with some sandpaper. Probably could have done it without the drill press, but I wanted to keep it as perfectly round as possible. Took a little time to get all 4 pieces to the right size, but after doing so the plugs now take a good, firm pressure to insert into the binding posts, and then stay there nice and tight. I had worked carefully to get a good contact pressure when I first installed the AQ's, but when I took them out to add the dowels, two had already vibrated halfway out of the binding post and were really only held in place by the stiffness of the speaker wire. Ugh. But the dowels fix all that, so many thanks for the suggestion!
Now, I wonder if a maple dowel would sound better than oak... :)
Post a Followup:
Post a Message!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors: