Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
I have been reading about the AR XA turntable and The AR Turntable. I know that these days, almost all tonearms come with anti-skating capabilities, and that the original AR-XA tonearm lacked this feature. I read that Edgar Villchur said if one was worried about anti-skating one could simply increase the tracking pressure by a half a gram.
Most writers claim the AR-XA tonearm was not up to the standards of the turntable or that it was a sub-optimal design even for its time. None of these writers ever tell why they think it's a sub-optimal design or what it lacks besides anti-skating. Another writer claimed these criticisms of the AR-XA tonearm were unwarranted and that it is actually a "superb" tonearm design.
So, what say you about the AR-XA tonearm--good, bad, indifferent?
I had an AR-XA table a long time ago. I am looking to acquire another and would appreciate comments about the tonearm question. I am torn as to whether to buy an XA as an example of Villchur's superb design work, or go for The AR Turntable because of the supposedly better arm??
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - AR Turntable tonearm question - George S. Roland 20:29:23 08/01/22 (15)
- RE: AR Turntable tonearm question - John Elison 16:42:45 08/05/22 (2)
- "piece of junk . . ". Pretty strong words John. The AR-XA tonearm is - alaskahiatt 23:05:29 08/07/22 (1)
- notable hallmark of progress - Story 03:34:12 08/08/22 (0)
- RE: AR Turntable tonearm question - 6bq5 10:23:47 08/05/22 (0)
- that design goes way back... - Story 13:24:01 08/04/22 (0)
- Edgar Villchur's advice on anti-skating - Lew 09:09:27 08/04/22 (1)
- RE: Edgar Villchur's advice on anti-skating - JonM 09:18:14 08/05/22 (0)
- always strive for the best possible arm - beach cruiser 23:09:42 08/02/22 (0)
- RE: AR Turntable tonearm question - Bill Way 15:40:52 08/02/22 (1)
- RE: AR Turntable tonearm question - Tre' 16:25:05 08/02/22 (0)
- RE: AR Turntable tonearm question - Basher52 09:04:10 08/02/22 (4)