Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: MC Gain question posted by Joe Backer on April 3, 2021 at 09:40:39:
I am kind of surprised that 57 db of phono gain plus 18db gain from your linestage is insufficient total gain for your cartridge to drive the amplifier. Most amps can be driven to full output by about 1V, give or take. Using an on-line calculator, I get about 1.4V at the standard stylus velocity, delivered from the output of your linestage to the input of your amplifier, from your 0.25mV cartridge. As mg16 suggested, you might want to check the input sensitivity of your amplifier, as well as your speaker's efficiency spec.
I see JE posted almost simultaneously. He used 20db for the linestage; I used 18db. Either way, the audio signal coming out of your linestage is sufficient in amplitude to drive most amplifiers to full output.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - MC Gain question - Joe Backer 08:20:41 04/03/21 (10)
- RE: MC Gain question - M3 lover 11:03:30 04/03/21 (0)
- RE: MC Gain question - mg16 09:17:59 04/03/21 (2)
- RE: MC Gain question - John Elison 09:58:56 04/03/21 (1)
- RE: MC Gain question - mg16 11:50:37 04/03/21 (0)
- RE: MC Gain question - Lew 09:11:15 04/03/21 (4)
- RE: MC Gain question - Joe Backer 09:40:39 04/03/21 (3)
- RE: MC Gain question - Sondek 08:38:51 04/03/21 (0)
- RE: MC Gain question - Lew 10:33:46 04/03/21 (0)