Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
About four weeks ago, I was in a Wyoming antique shop, digging through stacks of LPs. Another fellow had stopped in to join the owner for a cigarette and coffee. He saw me digging and struck up a conversation about records, vintage audio gear, etc... Also mentioned that he had "1,400 Jazz records" that he had no interest in keeping or listening to. So we exchanged phone numbers and week later I called to arrange a visit to his place, 100 miles from where I live. Knowing of his keen interest in vintage gear and having mentioned speakers in particular and "swapping", I loaded a very large pair of speakers in my truck and made the drive. The speakers were exactly the sort of thing he was looking for. The LPs were in 17 boxes sitting on the floor in his music room/man cave. I spent about ten minutes looking at a few dozen LPs pulled at random out of three boxes. I saw a lot of 50s/60s Jazz LPs and virtually everything was very clean, VG+ to NM vinyl. My gut told me that it would be a great score, with many rarities and 'gems' to be found. We maded a quick and easy deal, me trading the speakers and cash for the LPs.
On my return home six hours later, I set up temporary benches in my shop building and did a rough sort Jazz A-Z and everything else A-Z. At this point, I've cleaned about 450 LPs on my RCM and placed into new poly inner and outer sleeves. There was about 75% Jazz, 15% Soul/Funk and 10% everything else. Here's a few still photos of first-time spin of a few records and I'll include a link to a YouTube video I posted. Note that it's a long video at 86 minutes but will be of interest to fellow crate diggers and music lovers.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Recent finds: 1,300+ Jazz, Soul, Funk, Pscych, etc... LPs. - email@example.com 09:07:00 03/28/21 (14)
- RE: Recent finds: 1,300+ Jazz, Soul, Funk, Pscych, etc... LPs. - checch 16:40:31 03/31/21 (0)
- RE: Recent finds: 1,300+ Jazz, Soul, Funk, Pscych, etc... LPs. - Munkie_NL 05:33:53 03/29/21 (0)
- Score of a lifetime for some... another good month for CC... - musetap 23:03:47 03/28/21 (0)
- congrats Dave, they look clean. . . . - peteSF 17:28:55 03/28/21 (0)
- Sweet Mother of Mercy. - jusbe 17:28:37 03/28/21 (0)
- Gadzooks! Nice haul :) BTW, what RCM do you use? - popsy 14:58:45 03/28/21 (3)
- RE: Gadzooks! Nice haul :) BTW, what RCM do you use? - firstname.lastname@example.org 17:25:10 03/28/21 (1)
- Thanks, I do like the hand crank. That makes the manual easier. nt - alaskahiatt 12:56:10 03/29/21 (0)
- Wondering the same thing. I just cleaned six LPs on my totally manual - alaskahiatt 15:45:23 03/28/21 (0)
- Nice. You are truly a glutton of pain. - Goober58 14:25:57 03/28/21 (1)
- Drop in the bucket for Cactus :-) nt - Rick W 14:43:34 03/28/21 (0)
- Congrats. Again! nt - alaskahiatt 11:43:26 03/28/21 (0)
- Awesome! - LtMandella 10:15:39 03/28/21 (1)
- RE: Awesome! - email@example.com 10:58:22 03/28/21 (0)