Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Consider me in the vocal minority ;) posted by ToddM on January 14, 2021 at 11:11:40:
Other brands just aren't the same and are frustrating to use.
Both the Cat-A-Pult and my current electric I linked to down the thread are great for point-to-point but often leave solder in a PCB eyelet. Heating the lead on the new part and trying to push it through is hit or miss and can overheat the part.
Holding the braid with the iron to the eyelet and then introducing a bit of fresh solder just as if you were soldering the braid to the board, then pulling/rubbing an inch or two of the braid along instantly clears the hole. I'd need prehensile toes to do that with a bulb type.
As others have posted, a solder station is desirable; my Hakko is nearly old enough to vote and invaluable especially when you need to bring the thunder like tinning heavy solid core wire for ground buss or tinning that pesky Cardas with each strand urethaned.
With great power comes great responsibility, though; especially beginners should be careful and stay in the 700 degree range for nearly all tasks. Using the higher heat to quickly get on and off which is preferred, takes some practice.
Sapiens, My AssThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - NuWave 13:58:30 01/13/21 (31)
- RE: going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - Lew 08:58:55 01/14/21 (5)
- already have a nice solder station - NuWave 13:30:15 01/14/21 (4)
- RE: going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - MikeWI 21:08:23 01/13/21 (0)
- Are these things just a gimmick? - alaskahiatt 19:42:31 01/13/21 (13)
- Absolutely not a gimmick. - ToddM 09:48:15 01/14/21 (8)
- Thanks. I picked one up from Radio Shack as they were dying, but - alaskahiatt 11:41:54 01/14/21 (0)
- I've got one of those, but it doesn't work very well for me. - ghost of olddude55 10:07:00 01/14/21 (6)
- Consider me in the vocal minority ;) - ToddM 11:11:40 01/14/21 (5)
- Yours ever stops working for some reason... - ghost of olddude55 14:34:10 01/14/21 (0)
- RE: NTE No Clean Solder Braid, in a class by itself - B. Scarpia 12:54:23 01/14/21 (3)
- No, it really did extend my manhood. If you know what I mean. nt - viridian 20:14:06 01/13/21 (3)
- Kind of like that parrot on Peter Sellers shoulder. - alaskahiatt 11:47:55 01/14/21 (2)
- This site is called "Vinyl Asylum", or am I misunderstanding? Nt - viridian 13:16:41 01/14/21 (1)
- An Asylum for sure! nt - alaskahiatt 18:46:44 01/14/21 (0)
- RE: going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - John-from Seattle 18:46:08 01/13/21 (0)
- Desoldering wick. - ghost of olddude55 14:42:48 01/13/21 (1)
- +1 on Desoldering wick nt - blues4ever 15:00:18 01/13/21 (0)
- RE: going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - Cougar 14:29:13 01/13/21 (0)
- RE: going to upgrade some caps, maybe some advice needed - B. Scarpia 14:27:30 01/13/21 (0)
- IMHO, you should invest in a solder sucker or some desoldering braid. - viridian 14:23:32 01/13/21 (4)
- You should invest in a solder sucker AND some desoldering braid. ;-) - John Elison 19:15:19 01/13/21 (0)
- I have those - NuWave 17:22:55 01/13/21 (1)
- Once the old one and the leads are out... - viridian 18:12:08 01/13/21 (0)
- "Cut the leads first". Excellent idea! nt - alaskahiatt 14:48:08 01/13/21 (0)