Home Vinyl Asylum

Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.

RE: Phono Preamp to replace Bottlehead Seduction

Well, I have no idea how the MMP3 sounds, but I suspect it should be compatible with your Soundsmith cartridge. It certainly fits your budget, too.

As for me, I need a truly topnotch phono preamp. I bought a Pass Labs XOno in 2003 and it simply blew me away. I've never heard anything better although I did build a Vacuum Tube Audio PH16 phono stage kit four years ago. The kit cost around $700 if I remember correctly, but it doesn't sound as good as my $4200 XOno.

I have a couple of audio buddies that live near me and we get together periodically for listening sessions. They both have high-end systems and after hearing my XOno, they both bought Pass Labs phono stages. The XOno has been out of production for 10 years or longer so they each bought an XP-17, which is the current equivalent. These are all solid state phono preamps, but they sound spectacular. Unfortunately, they're price is a bit higher than you want to spend.

Good luck with your Soundsmith MMP3. I hope it meets your requirements.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Phono Preamp to replace Bottlehead Seduction - John Elison 10:36:40 07/29/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.