Home Vinyl Asylum

Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.

RE: Some test records comparisons

Interesting results. I have the original Ortofon Test Disc TC002 as well as the latest release and the other discs you mentioned (although the re-released version of HFNRR) along with the CBS test discs. I was disappointed that the re-release version of the Ortofon lacked the white noise test for the channel phasing test - very useful for frequency response tests in vertical and horizontal modulation.
With respect to the variability in the channel separation results, some of that has to do with the pressing uniformity of the disc. If you did a slice through the spindle, you may find that the disc actually gets slightly thicker towards the spindle so there is an inherent "azimuth error" due to the variation in the record thickness. Also, errors in antiskate, HTA and SRA can also induce some variability in the tracking ability tests and vertical modulation channel balance.

Incidentally, with your loading experiment for the V15Vx, that's a pretty extreme change to Shure's original loading!
This is the M97/SAS loaded at 47k and 130pF using white noise. With the stock stylus, it is ruler flat from 10kHz to 23kHz, but the gentle tilt from 1kHz to 10kHz is an inherent part of the Shure "audiophile curve". I actually prefer the stock stylus tonal balance to the SAS (although the SAS is superior in every other way!) with classical and jazz.

How did you convert the pink noise back to a flat characteristic to determine the frequency response?
Regards Anthony

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." Keats

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.