Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: I don't disagree with you,... posted by Lew on April 20, 2017 at 08:05:08:
Yes! I do indeed use a USB microscope with a mirror, then scrutinize the still photo to refine the azimuth of the tip.
I appreciate that not everyone will have the tools at hand to use this method. However, the cost of very adequate USB microscopes is such that they are within easy reach of all but the most impecunious of audiophiles!
I definitely don't go for the "equal crosstalk" method as the channel imbalance and frequency response anomalies that affect nearly all cartridges to a greater or lesser extent will mean that one rarely gets "all of the stars in perfect alignment" as it were!
The reason for my rejection of the "equal crosstalk method" is that I have styli where the tip happens to be "perfect" in terms of perpendicularity with respect to the body and the channel separation was anything BUT equal which I put down to coil variances. If one went for equal crosstalk, one would actually introduce a significant tip alignment error and drop the crosstalk to a lower value. I did many experiments to prove to myself that the tip itself was the important parameter. Peter Ledermann stressed this in relation to the OLC tip which I had put on a Denon DL160 - Having seen the shape under a microscope, it is evident that it wouldn't tolerate much alignment error before it was no longer sitting in the groove sensibly!
"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." KeatsThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - ColoKurt 15:35:24 04/18/17 (19)
- You've only given us half the relevant data, unless... - Lew 17:11:05 04/19/17 (4)
- RE: You've only given us half the relevant data, unless... - flood2 18:15:35 04/19/17 (3)
- I always trust my ears. Always. (nt) - reelsmith. 15:24:07 04/19/17 (0)
- FWIW... - spindoctor 05:55:00 04/19/17 (1)
- RE: FWIW... - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:54:33 04/19/17 (0)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - Todd Krieger 19:43:24 04/18/17 (1)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - ColoKurt 11:03:26 04/19/17 (0)
- That looks way off - jedrider 19:17:57 04/18/17 (0)
- Believe the measurements - richardl 18:39:27 04/18/17 (0)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - PAR 16:04:41 04/18/17 (6)
- RE: Lying Eyes; Henley/Frey, 1975 - kitch29 14:03:53 04/19/17 (1)
- RE: Lying Eyes; Henley/Frey, 1975 - SgreenP@MSN.com 10:22:45 04/20/17 (0)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - ColoKurt 18:48:53 04/18/17 (3)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - PAR 21:23:08 04/18/17 (2)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - Tre' 11:01:24 04/19/17 (1)
- RE: Believe the measurements or my own lying eyes? - ColoKurt 11:12:30 04/19/17 (0)
- RE: I don't disagree with you,... - flood2 16:38:26 04/20/17 (1)
- Like I said,... - Lew 17:55:06 04/20/17 (0)