Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
I received this (Van Cliburn playing the Grieg and Liszt 1 piano concertos with Ormandy conducting, on RCA) as a birthday present right after it was released - I think it would have been 1969 or 1970. My older brother was a Cliburn fan and gave it to me, I think, knowing about my growing interest in classical music. I came to love both concertos, and played the heck out of it on a piece of crap stereo, so I discarded the LP somewhere down the line. I found a sealed copy on eBay so said, gotta have it! We'll see what memories come back.....
This record was made about the time when Ormandy was returning to RCA after a long stint at Columbia, and my copy (then) was packaged with some Ormandy-led excerpts from old recordings, including a Wagner aria with Melchior, a revelation to these ears.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - My first classical LP - TGR 17:32:01 04/12/17 (9)
- RE: My first classical LP - rbolaw 05:51:05 04/15/17 (0)
- First? - E-Stat 13:53:03 04/13/17 (0)
- Starting out heavy - M3 lover 11:47:53 04/13/17 (0)
- I don't have a pic but my first classical lp - John N 10:27:12 04/13/17 (0)
- RE: My first classical LP - docw 18:00:29 04/12/17 (0)
- RE: My first classical LP - wolfie62 17:43:31 04/12/17 (3)