Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
My D2 is about 15 yrs old and in need of replacement. A D3 will be about $1K with the trade-in. I really like the D2 - it replaced a 20XL and was clearly superior. So the questions are:
1) Should I have the D2 retipped by Soundsmith?
2) Get a D3?
3) What other cartridge at the 1K mark will sound better than the D3? I have an open mind and am not limited to MC.
FWIW, I have two tables (a Linn LP Sondek and a Denon DP-55K). Both have Unitrac I tonearms.
I married the perfect woman. The downside is everything that goes wrong is my fault.
Edits: 04/11/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Replacing DV Karat 17D2 - opinions wanted - neolith 15:01:28 04/11/17 (15)
- My SoundSmith Retip several years ago - pics - AbeCollins 18:40:51 04/13/17 (0)
- RE: Replacing DV Karat 17D2 - opinions wanted - tketcham 07:18:33 04/12/17 (0)
- I can sell my D3 since I'm not active in vinyl - AbeCollins 18:28:29 04/11/17 (11)
- RE: I can sell my D3 since I'm not active in vinyl - neolith 09:15:13 04/12/17 (10)
- RE: Some Dyna 17D3 photos for you - AbeCollins 16:09:38 04/12/17 (8)
- RE: Some Dyna 17D3 photos for you - TubeDriver 09:30:02 04/13/17 (1)
- RE: Some Dyna 17D3 photos for you - AbeCollins 11:13:27 04/13/17 (0)
- remember the damn screws are unique to the Dynavector... - 3+4=5 05:38:41 04/13/17 (4)
- SoundSmith - valvesonly 16:22:13 04/13/17 (0)
- And those are the ones in the photos - AbeCollins 06:33:19 04/13/17 (2)
- RE: Some Dyna 17D3 photos for you - neolith 04:50:24 04/13/17 (0)
- RE: I can sell my D3 since I'm not active in vinyl - AbeCollins 09:40:29 04/12/17 (0)
- I'd go for the SS ruby/optimized LC stylus retip for your D2. /nt\ - Opus 33 1/3 17:09:53 04/11/17 (0)