Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
As it stands today, my setup is:
Integrated Amp: Cayin A-88T
Speaks: Usher CP-6311; REL Stadium III
Vinyl: JA Mitchell Tecnodec/Bellari VP-530/Dynavector 20X2
I have a nagging suspicion that the weak link presently is the phono preamp. I wonder if my sound would get a bit more POW with a juicier phono stage.
I started looking into DACs (I HATE that, btw... dealing with audio formats, DRM and the like is partially responsible for my love of records) and I noticed some had built in phono stages as well. This could be a method of justifying the purchase to wife, who wants to watch movies on some apple trash that only has a digital output, which my amp does not understand.
Or, then again, I can just do whatever I want and get a sweet phono amp and buy her some records and call it a day. Any suggestions for beefy-sounding phono stages? Preference given to tubes, because mmmm... tubes.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Time to upgrade Phono? - Slippery Slope 13:22:27 04/10/17 (16)
- Vincent PHO-8: It has 'POW' and juice. - Bronica S2A 08:49:37 04/11/17 (1)
- RE: Vincent PHO-8: It has 'POW' and juice. - Travis 17:41:17 04/16/17 (0)
- RE: Time to upgrade Phono? Ifi Phono 2 - Lethegoodtimesroll 08:40:20 04/11/17 (0)
- it is hard to beat Yaqin 22b - bouncy ball 08:36:32 04/11/17 (0)
- Hard to beat this. $399 and rich tube sound. - Opus 33 1/3 04:30:21 04/11/17 (4)
- Better than the Cornet? /nt - Biff 07:53:49 04/11/17 (1)
- Overall, yes, I prefer the Budgie to the Cornet 3. It equals - Opus 33 1/3 12:36:59 04/11/17 (0)
- RE: Hard to beat this. $399 and rich tube sound. - Slippery Slope 07:28:04 04/11/17 (1)
- The regular Budgie handled a Denon DL-160 and 110, both - Opus 33 1/3 12:35:20 04/11/17 (0)
- RE: Time to upgrade Phono? - firstname.lastname@example.org 17:08:11 04/10/17 (3)
- RE: Time to upgrade Phono? - Slippery Slope 18:04:37 04/10/17 (2)
- RE: Time to upgrade Phono? - John Elison 16:18:07 04/10/17 (1)
- RE: Time to upgrade Phono? - Slippery Slope 17:04:39 04/10/17 (0)
- Perhaps - E-Stat 15:11:48 04/10/17 (0)