Home Tweakers' Asylum

Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.

RE: DIY Audio Cable/Power Cord Project Tools

I agree, Lew. I should have included heat shrink in various diameters and a hot air gun to shrink the tubing, but I hardly ever use heat shrink tubing. I tend to prefer a cleaner look without heat shrink, unless heat shrink tubing is used as a connector insulator, such for spade connectors that might come in physical contact, or for other special situations that a robust heat shrink is the best option for the task, such as heavy-duty strain relief purposes. Perhaps the main reason is that I often re-terminate cables, so I don't wish to add anything that is unnecessary which may complicate a re-termination project for personal use. I find PTFE tape or Polyethylene film tape tend to be adequate cable outer diameter build-up materials rather than heat shrink. I think the primary benefit is when used as heavy-duty strain relief, of which a cable manufacturer or seller may rely on to avoid customer returns based on abuse or catastrophic events.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DIY Audio Cable/Power Cord Project Tools - Duster 14:01:07 06/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.