Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
Just to add to the head-scratching questions regarding fuses, specifically fuse ratings and reliability mentioned in several posts below this one, I thought I'd post something I read last night on the Acme Audio Labs web site.
I was on their site, double-checking an IEC jack I bought a long time ago, when I read the following about fuses:
"Ceramic Fuse Compatibility
We have found that some equipment with no inrush protection will destroy Ceramic body fuses. It is recommended that a potential fuse customer first try a stock ceramic body fuse before ordering the Acme Fuses."
So their experience has been that a ceramic fuse, even ones from UL rated companies like Buss, Littelfuse, etc. will open more often than a glass fuse of the same rating.
That doesn't make any sense to me, and their observation is purely anecdotal, but I did find it interesting, so I thought I'd pass it along.
Edit: Please note, my post isn't intended to imply anything negative towards Acme Audio Labs. I use their AC duplex outlet and several of their IEC jacks, and have nothing but good to say about Acme. I posted simply to pass along their experience with glass vs. ceramic fuses.
"Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be. 'Cause now I'm an amputee" J. Lennon
Edits: 05/04/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - More on (or is that moron?) fuses - 1973shovel 06:03:00 05/04/17 (24)
- That has been my experience - firstname.lastname@example.org 10:46:53 05/10/17 (7)
- I hate to sound like the little kid in the back seat - 1973shovel 09:41:22 05/11/17 (6)
- I would like to know, too - email@example.com 15:56:27 05/11/17 (5)
- As we speculated further down - 1973shovel 22:40:52 05/11/17 (4)
- RE: More on (or is that moron?) fuses - Lew 17:18:29 05/04/17 (9)
- Since you use the ACME fuses.... - mitch2 05:05:38 05/06/17 (3)
- I think I did buy some of those - Lew 12:20:16 05/08/17 (2)
- RE: More on (or is that moron?) fuses - Tweaker456 20:02:08 05/04/17 (4)
- Haha. Yes, "sole" was at the soul of my message - Lew 08:38:46 05/05/17 (3)
- RE: Haha. Yes, "sole" was at the soul of my message - Tweaker456 12:06:29 05/06/17 (2)
- RE: Haha. Yes, "sole" was at the soul of my message - throwback 16:34:47 05/07/17 (1)
- I need no assistance with that ritual - Lew 12:15:17 05/08/17 (0)
- RE: More on (or is that moron?) fuses - Mike B. 14:12:33 05/04/17 (3)
- Thanks for the feedback, Mike - 1973shovel 04:27:10 05/06/17 (2)
- RE: Thanks for the feedback, Mike - Mike B. 10:58:40 05/07/17 (1)
- RE: "not all fuses react to inrush current the same way" - 1973shovel 07:03:47 05/08/17 (0)
- RE: More on (or is that moron?) fuses - mitch2 11:32:05 05/04/17 (0)
- RE: More on (or is that moron?) fuses - neolith 09:20:23 05/04/17 (0)