Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: Wiring outlet box posted by alan m. kafton on April 18, 2017 at 11:20:50:
Well its much easier with pictures, I actually posted a tutorial on AK about this very subject.
It's not that hard to do, but it adds time, and materials to the job, so many electricians don't do it because it's not required by the NEC, but it should be. It's my opinion arc fault breakers would never have come into existence if electricians had only been required to do this.
I'll try to explain. If you were to remove the receptacle from the box and looked inside you would see at least one black, white, and bare (maybe green) wires.
When there are two or more of each the bare wires are twisted together with one tail going to the outlet's ground screw. Then the blacks and whites are either back stabbed into the holes, or wrapped around the screws on the receptacle. This makes the device an integral part of the circuits integrity. If the first receptacle in line it takes all of the abuse of the whole circuit even if never used.
What should be done is the same as with the ground wires. Take a 6" - 8" piece of black wire, with a wire nut tail it to the two black wires in the box, do the same with the white wires. Now connect the other end of the tails to the receptacle, the power can now flow on the wires past the receptacle, and any others in the line also tailed in this manner to its desired location. Now the receptacles throughout the house will only be in use when something is plugged into each if them, and it will only carry its own load.
Hope I was able to make this clear, will see if I can still find the pictures I took when I posted this on the other site.
Edits: 04/18/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Wiring outlet box - JB Coleman 10:44:13 04/14/17 (22)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - jea48 12:32:16 04/14/17 (21)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - Uncle Mike 16:57:40 04/14/17 (15)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - jea48 18:54:08 04/14/17 (14)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - JB Coleman 08:30:12 04/15/17 (5)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - jea48 09:52:42 04/15/17 (4)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - Uncle Mike 03:40:36 04/15/17 (7)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - jea48 07:20:56 04/15/17 (0)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - Kingshead 05:33:14 04/15/17 (5)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - JB Coleman 15:57:42 04/14/17 (4)Follow Ups
- RE: Wiring outlet box - Kingshead 15:55:42 04/18/17 (1)
- RE: Wiring outlet box - Kingshead 16:17:54 04/18/17 (0)