Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? posted by vinnie2 on March 23, 2017 at 05:17:43:
Well I thought it was all written in my first post, but maybe I wasn't clear enough, my apologies.
My feeling about hi-fi is that passive components are responsible to 50% of an amplifier (lack of) good sound.
I mean if you look at the difference between a 150$ amplifier and a 600$ amplifier (high-end being a different story of course), what differs most is the quality of the parts.
I'm not trying to make a bad amplifier turn into a good amplifier. I'm just trying to make this one a little bit better until she has the $ to upgrade.
Considering what I see inside the amp, improving on what's there should be too hard.
I've ordered some Nichicon FW main caps. Cheap enough, will replace 20 years old cheap generic caps.
If there's no change for the better, i will stop there and put the amp back on sale. If it makes a change, I might consider recapping all small lytics as well.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 03:08:41 03/22/17 (13)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Lou S 05:49:28 04/01/17 (0)
- punt - Awe-d-o-file 16:46:11 03/24/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Kingshead 14:10:35 03/22/17 (4)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 15:26:10 03/22/17 (3)
- I was ripped out the entire preamp section of a Yamaha receiver - jedrider 10:00:40 03/22/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 07:03:58 03/22/17 (2)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Crazy Dave 10:13:21 04/02/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - pictureguy 20:55:50 04/01/17 (0)
- replace it with a good one....nt - vinnie2 03:51:29 03/22/17 (1)
- This... Even Goodwill has better stuff for $19.98 or less. nt - 3+4=5 10:10:37 03/22/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 16:01:01 03/23/17 (1)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Tweaker456 00:11:59 03/24/17 (0)