Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
I bought a cheap second-hand system for a friend who needs something to connect her turntable to.
Speakers are more than decent (JBL ES30) but the receiver is THE WORST I'VE EVER HEARD in 20 years in this hobby.
All plastic class H Technics SA-EX120.
I really thought, having owned a few Technics in the past, that this one would have a flimsy build but decent sound -NOT. It is nasty as hell. Slow and undynamic, with a muffled and dead sound and a decidedly nasal character. Damn :/
I could obviously tell her to upgrade soon but in the meantime there might be something to do to help SQ a bit.
I've noticed electrolytics are generic and quite small values, even main caps. I'm thinking maybe I could replace those with something like Panasonic FC and d
Edits: 03/22/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 03:08:41 03/22/17 (13)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Lou S 05:49:28 04/01/17 (0)
- punt - Awe-d-o-file 16:46:11 03/24/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Kingshead 14:10:35 03/22/17 (4)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 15:26:10 03/22/17 (3)
- I was ripped out the entire preamp section of a Yamaha receiver - jedrider 10:00:40 03/22/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - KanedaK 07:03:58 03/22/17 (2)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - Crazy Dave 10:13:21 04/02/17 (0)
- RE: How to improve a lousy receiver? - pictureguy 20:55:50 04/01/17 (0)
- replace it with a good one....nt - vinnie2 03:51:29 03/22/17 (1)
- This... Even Goodwill has better stuff for $19.98 or less. nt - 3+4=5 10:10:37 03/22/17 (0)