Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: DIY skyline diffuser posted by PranaBindu on January 31, 2006 at 10:03:35:
Styrofoam is not that 'solid' at lower audio frequencies, and it can actually become acoustically opaque at fairly high frequencies.
This means that should you try to extend the depth past 6"-7", to get a wider bandwidth, it will not work. In fact, depending on how stiff/dense the foam is, it may not work down to the nominal depth of 7" (which is roughly working down to about 500 Hz)
Another consideration, is that the bass in the room can and will shake the styrofoam, causing the HF's to become modulated as the styrofoam moves.
This has been cured on DIY diffusors by coating the styrofoam with some epoxy, thick paint, etc. to help further stiffen and damp the styrofoam 'sticks', both in terms of the surface, adn of the 2" by 2" sticks moving relative to each other.
Finally, for the maximum performance out of a given DIY attempt, do not cut the ends facing out into the room off even, but rather, slice them at a slight angle (say 20-25 degrees), and rotate the angles from square to square to make them more effective (random) at HF's.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - DIY skyline diffuser - PranaBindu 10:03:35 01/31/06 (16)
- Fire risk - Chris_F 06:30:43 02/02/06 (0)
- RE Styrofoam - Jon Risch 17:40:14 01/31/06 (3)
- RPG design is puzzling - PranaBindu 23:17:49 02/01/06 (2)
- Update and rough calculations - PranaBindu 10:28:50 01/31/06 (8)
- Save yourself some energy (and brain cells), web-based skyline diffuser calculator.... - darkmoebius 01:35:53 02/01/06 (2)
- I compared with RPG, and there is an apparent disagreement - PranaBindu 23:03:25 02/01/06 (1)
- Re: I compared with RPG, and there is an apparent disagreement - David Aiken 03:14:19 02/02/06 (0)
- Re: Update and rough calculations - bradp 14:03:52 01/31/06 (4)
- That's one - PranaBindu 15:55:54 01/31/06 (3)
- cheap mitre-box and a serrated bread knife work great for styrofoam. nt - snkby 20:18:44 02/01/06 (0)
- Cutting syrofoam - Don Bunce 08:20:59 02/01/06 (0)
- Make that two!! - Julien43 07:17:14 02/01/06 (0)
- Re: DIY skyline diffuser - Sopor 10:19:49 01/31/06 (1)
- not stiff or "random" enough - PranaBindu 10:31:47 01/31/06 (0)