Home Tubes Asylum

Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ

RE: One Bad 6550

I have the older(-est?) version of this Jolida that was rebuilt with beefier power supply and higher quality parts, had it now almost 10 years.
Most reliable tubes for this amp in my experience was the Svetlana EL34(came with amp) and the EH KT88. I tried the GL KT88, sounded very good but had one tube fail within 2months, purchased from The Tube Depot, factory matched. Got a replacement but another of the original quad failed a few months later, too long after to get another replacement, so gave up on GL88. Tried a variety of others, Tung-Sol 6550, JJ KT77, GL KT77, EH 6CA7, JJ EL34L.
THE GL and JJ 77 sounded very good, but also had failures, so I just stick with the EH KT88 and Svetlana 34 which has been rock solid over the years.
With individual bias pots for each tube you can swap in a replacement tube with no problem. THe main issue is getting reliable tubes, tested and burn in, 'factory matching' is a crapshoot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.