Home Tubes Asylum

Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ

A dozen new EL34s from Jim McShane/McShane Design

and the magic is coming back.
These were the reissued Tungsol EL34Bs that Jim recommended for my amp.
(Burned in, tested, & matched.)

Previously I had posted a couple of questions related to output tube health & bias readings & finally after swapping out the smaller tubes in the front of the amp I was left with the outputs or something non-tube related that would require getting inside the amp again. Turned out to be the outputs, & it was good to hear the sweetness again & I am back to being happy.

In front I am currently running a pair of relatively new Tungsram EL84s from Uncle Keven & a pair of 1982 vintage Voskhod 6H23s (Soviet substitute for 6922) for which I am grateful to the generous benefactor who bestowed them on me.

Anyway, I put 4 hours on the new EL34s this afternoon/evening, & "the bottom [was] low and the treble clear" (Townes Van Zandt). Actually, the treble might be just a tad hard ("might be" & "just a tad" are the operative words), but I am thinking that given more hours, it should soften up a bit & bloom even more.

Thanks to all who replied to my previous posts related to this subject.

7-5-2019 "Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets' red glare, it had nothing but victory."

Edits: 12/10/20 12/10/20 12/10/20 12/10/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - A dozen new EL34s from Jim McShane/McShane Design - immatthewj 18:57:29 12/10/20 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.