Home Tubes Asylum

Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ

Do you have one listening room or two?

I'm not totally following this - you already have a home theatre system. Do you want a second system to listen in another room?

If the second system is for the Altecs, I would go straight to a single ended amp (SE) most likely with a 300b output tube, or consider a 2a3 if it will do the job - a bit less output.

The hi-fi world is flooded with 300b amps for good reason - it's a great sounding output tube. Specially on vocals, which with a good 300b amp can sound quite magical. There are various Chinese examples at several price points. I'd prefer the point-to-point wired ones to the PCB ones since they offer the option of upgrading parts more easily.



I believe Bottlehead do a 2a3 amp in your budget and that might be a good place to start, since it's parafeed and that can sound nice. Their 300b amp is a bit pricey.


Otherwise look for used 300b examples with good transformers. They will be the best value, and something should come in around $1,000.

Edits: 10/12/20 10/12/20 10/12/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.