Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: Tube adapters are no substitute for design. posted by andy evans on September 14, 2020 at 15:20:29:
Oh well, I guess I didn't expect a summary dismissal.
Anyway, please read no emotion, sarcasm, or ingratitude into my response.
The circuit in question is an srpp, driving a 47k load. My understanding is that the load is an integral part of the srpp circuit.
I own, and have tried, quite a few NOS 6DJ8/6922, the Holland Amperex are nice, but I like the genuine '75 Reflektor 6N23p a bit more, (I suspect it has a bit of 2nd harmonic as strings are somewhat on the "sweet" side). So, it's not for lack of trying on my part.
The 6SL7 idea was an inexpensive experiment (at first). It would have been really inexpensive if 6SN7's would have worked, I have a box full of all manner of those. So, $24 for a pair of adapters, $50 for a good pair of Sylvanias 6SL7's.
The Sylvanias sounded very good, but.....
Tung Sol BGRP's, brown base, (6SU7GTY's actually) are not obscenely priced. So, why not? And, as it turns out, sound fantastic in this circuit, as is. Top to bottom, "sounstage", decay, layering, simply beyond what I would have imagined. And, by way of just an oddity/comment, they run extremely cool to the touch. 132 degrees after 2 hours listening (says the IR gun).
Yes, I will learn more about circuit design. I just thought I'd ask a question.
Thanks - Rick
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 6922 to 6SL7 - Rikkitik 08:42:28 09/14/20 (16)
- RE: 6922 to 6SL7 - immatthewj 21:43:16 09/17/20 (5)
- RE: 6922 to 6SL7 - Rikkitik 15:07:28 09/18/20 (4)
- RE: 6922 to 6SL7 - Sondek 14:12:51 09/17/20 (0)
- The problem is the mu - Ralph 12:35:39 09/15/20 (1)
- RE: The problem is the mu - mraudio 20:34:15 09/15/20 (0)
- Tube adapters are no substitute for design. - andy evans 15:20:29 09/14/20 (3)
- RE: Tube adapters are no substitute for design. - Rikkitik 10:47:12 09/15/20 (2)
- RE: 6922 to 6SL7 - Eli Duttman 12:26:10 09/14/20 (2)