Home Tubes Asylum

Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ

RE: Ditto (though a few years ago) the GL KT77 were fantastic in all regards... N/T

Thank you for the link. It made for good reading. The write up on the GLs sounds seductive.

Let me follow this up by typing that I was probably mistaken that I NEEDED new outputs. A past experience planted in my mind(?) that outputs might be the cause of the grain & the hard edge that I was hearing on female vocals. Out of the blue, an inmate sent me an email (prompted by this thread) that made me rethink this & to swap out my EL84 s (power source for my 6DJ8 inputs) with a pair of brand new reissued Mullard EL84s that I was keeping for spares. Night 2 post swap & the results are amazing/glorious (however, we are on night 3 of a SA10 front end audition). (However, I cut the night-one-audition way short due to everything sounding like hammered shlt).

I spent a few extra $ tonight buying some highly touted EL84s & plan on (again) keeping the reissued Mullards as spares,
BUT,
seductive is seductive, & I may have been seduced. I am strongly considering ordering up a dozen GLs & hanging on to my reissued Mullard EL34s for spares.

A salesman from Cary Audio told me (right before he sold me a pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s) that, "tube rolling will make you neurotic."

7-5-2019 "Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets' red glare, it had nothing but victory."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ditto (though a few years ago) the GL KT77 were fantastic in all regards... N/T - immatthewj 22:22:40 08/16/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.