Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: RE: Microphonic vs Tube Pin Contact posted by bob_ on July 3, 2020 at 02:50:01:
Yes. Only tap if you are truly suspicious of microphony and are comfortable doing it.
Tubes are very robust and should survive the simple test. But it can get out if hand where people continually check obsessively or upon purchase from dealers/sellers claiming a tube is microphonic and want their money back.
I recall two personal instances where tapping helped me identify an issue.
One instance where a whistling sound was due to poor contact and not microphony. "Thud" tap.
Then another where a voice on an album I was familiar with developed a glare. By gently tapping the tubes in each channel, I found the microphonic tube and replaced it. Problem fixed. Was a "ring" tap on that tube only.
Otherwise I do not tap tubes as regular maintenance.
Also note that microphonic tubes can be used in other locations not susceptible to the issue. Do not through them out. Just put aside and label them as such.
"I know just enough to get into trouble. But not enough to get out of it."This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Whistling Tube Question - erik 17:10:00 06/27/20 (21)
- An Update - erik 08:17:05 06/28/20 (4)
- Yup! That's a really microphonic tube that sings like that nt - Ralph 10:23:38 06/30/20 (3)
- RE: Yup! That's a really microphonic tube that sings like that nt - erik 11:22:20 06/30/20 (2)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jim McShane 17:25:28 06/27/20 (15)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - erik 17:44:31 06/27/20 (14)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jonesy 18:34:07 06/27/20 (13)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - bob_ 04:07:02 06/28/20 (12)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - Jonesy 10:14:12 06/28/20 (11)
- RE: Whistling Tube Question - bob_ 11:10:49 06/28/20 (10)
- Nevr-Dull - Jonesy 11:54:43 06/28/20 (9)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - bob_ 12:01:16 06/29/20 (8)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - erik 11:38:02 06/30/20 (6)
- RE: Nevr-Dull - bob_ 12:40:33 07/01/20 (5)
- Microphonic vs Tube Pin Contact - Jonesy 12:23:50 07/02/20 (4)
- Pins and Sockets - Jonesy 15:19:49 06/29/20 (0)
- RE: Microphonic vs Tube Pin Contact - Jonesy 08:50:43 07/03/20 (0)